Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blog Week 8

So this week, I have continued to play online. I figured that I would stay away from my franchise for a bit so that when I came back to it, I would not be so bored while playing it. Online is a lot different than playing the franchise. Playing against real people adds a new element that the computer AI did not have. It is not always the same thing when playing online because each person has their own strategy and style of play. When I play online, the thing that I try to do is figure out that strategy so that I can stop it as soon as possible.

The main thing that I wanted to blog about this week was the fighting in NHL 10. I am not quite sure why I haven't blogged about it before, because it really adds something fun to the game. While in a game, you can provoke a player from the opposite team into a fight. If they accept, you both drop gloves and swing your fists at each other.

Fighting in NHL 10 brings about a great principle for the week:

6) "Psychosocial Moratorium" Principle.
Learners can take risks in a space where real-world consequences are lowered

This applies perfectly to the fighting in NHL 10. For most of us, we do not want to get into fights with random people on the street - it just wouldn't be smart. But in the game, on the other hand, gamers are more than willing to start a fight with a random opponent. Gamers do not have to worry about feeling the pain or facing any real life consequences for the fight. No bruises and no punishments from the law.

Until next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment