Friday, March 12, 2010

Blog Week 7

So I have continued to play my franchise with the capitals in NHL 10, but throughout the week, I started to get bored of the same thing over and over - I guess that's what you get when you continue to play your sports franchise and nothing else. So, I thought a little bit deeper in to why I was getting bored, and I came up with the blatant answer - I was tired of playing with the same people over and over and continuing to play against the computer over and over. So, I decided to play online. This worked a lot better for me. It gave me a chance to play with a new team (I chose the Flyers) and I got the opportunity to play against real people instead of the steady play of the computer. This got me thinking, one reason that NHL 10, and other sports games are so attractive is because they have so many options. Not only can you play your franchise, but you can also play online against a random person across the globe - that is pretty interesting, to me at least.

Because of this, I thought of a good principle of the week:
Insider Principle.
The learner is an "insider," "teacher," and "producer" (not just a consumer) able to customize the learning experience and the domain/game from the beginning and throughout the experience.


In NHL 10, the learner (gamer) is able to decide which form of the game he/she wants to play (customizing the learning experience) from the beginning, and he/she also has the opportunity to try different parts of the game whenever he/she wants. It makes the player feel good that he/she is the learner, but also the teacher. It gives us a sense of power and allows us to play on our own time instead of following someone's agenda other than our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment