Friday, April 16, 2010

Final Blog

So I guess this will definitely be the last blog. I know I kind of summed up my experience with the game last week but let me recap. I really did enjoy playing NHL 10 throughout this semester. I have pretty much stuck with NBA and Madden when it comes to sport games, so a hockey game was a good change of pace. I definitely learned that this game can have educational value also. This made me think. Do all video games then have some educational value? I began to think of this because NHL is not a game tailored towards an audience looking to gain educational value, yet I found educational value when playing the game. So after pondering about this question, I came up with the answer that yes, all video games have some sort of educational value when it comes down to it. Even if they are not teaching math, science, history, or english directly, they still instill certain skills and/or values that are developed through education. For example, pretty much all video games require problem solving skills and determination - two skills that are essential in school, and in the real world. Video games do not necessarily teach these in a clear cut manner, but in order to survive in the game, you need to be able to solve problems (or get out of situations) and you need to be determined to never give up. To me, that means that video games have at least some educational value. They may not prepare you for school exactly, but they definitely prepare you somewhat for the real world.

Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment